Saturday, December 6, 2008

A first for me

I have been a parent to 4 children over the span of 12 years and now fully know they are all very different!

We put our pre-lit tree up the other day and realized that some of the lights weren't working. So we went back and forth about what to do. Since I am a nut and was worried about the thing catching on fire, I decided that we should just string lights on it and use those instead of the prelit lights. So yesterday I hang the 1st strand and start discussing with Tim how it looks terrible, etc. I turn around and Vivian is holding the lights. So I take them from her and explain that they are no touch, the tree is no touch, etc. I go back to the lights and try to figure out a way for them to look normal and I hear "CRUNCH." This child ATE ONE OF THE LIGHT BULBS!!! I almost died. Thankfully they weren't plugged in. I scooped her up and looked at her. She wasn't bleeding or anything. I could only get one tiny piece out b/c she had swallowed it. So I called Children's and the lady actually laughed at first. She said, "I have never heard of that before." The lady is asking me a bunch of questions while Vivian is playing as if she didn't just ingest glass!! We determined that she's ok and we just need to be on poop patrol for a couple of days. Joy!! After everything calmed down, I took her over to the tree and showed her the lights and said "we don't eat or touch the light." She pointed to her mouth and said" MINE!! All done."

2 comments:

annie said...

Oh dear! That absolutely cracked me up. (sorry) The best was what she said. All done! Hopefully that means she won't eat anymore. :o) Your life is never boring, that's for sure!

Becky said...

Ahh the joys of parenting one of "those" children! They can change the world if we can manage to keep them alive long enough to grow up!